Larry Borins, MSW, RSW is founder and managing director of Mind Health Toronto, a centre for integrated therapies for emotional and psychological wellbeing. He holds a Masters degree from Wurzweiler School of Social Work, Yeshiva University with a specialization in mental health. Larry has provided individual, family and couples psychotherapy to clients in outpatient hospitals settings, the private practice healthcare sector and community service agencies.
Trained in cognitive behavioral therapy, mindfulness based interventions, and emotionally focused couples therapy, Larry helps clients with depression, anxiety and relationship challenges address cycles of negative emotions, recognize psychological patterns, strengthen connections and explore new options for positive change. Larry believes that more choices become available with purposeful attention and the right guidance.
To that end, Larry has delivered workshops on Mindfulness and CBT to health care professionals, family caregivers and students and he currently runs a Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy group in North Toronto.
I have some good news for you. You already possess the power to shape your life. You can choose to accept yourself, to improve your relationships, and to cultivate the courage to live as you wish.
I know, because I’ve seen my clients overcome their personal stumbling blocks many, many times: from dealing with difficult transitions, anxiety and depression, to relationship problems and feelings of disconnection.
The seed of their remarkable results lays in the way they learn to relate to their thoughts and feelings. I’ve been helping people with this practice –called Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) – for many years.
According to CBT, it’s not the situation that makes us unhappy, but how we think about it (Cognitive), and what we do about it (Behaviour) that causes us distress. With practice, CBT helps you to change unhelpful thoughts and actions in the moment. The ultimate goal: you become equipped to tackle these problems in your own unique way, so you can realize your dreams, improve self-confidence, and influence your everyday mood.
I’m always delighted when my clients shift their attitudes toward their thoughts. The effect that ripples through the rest of their lives and relationships is extraordinarily satisfying to see.
In addition to helping people in my private practice, I was a clinical social worker on an integrated family health team. I enjoy collaborating with other healthcare professionals to deliver a more holistic level of care.
Combined with a disciplined approach and extensive theoretical knowledge, I believe my success is rooted in my integrity, ethics, open mindedness, and sensitivity. I cherish my clients’ trust; it’s the foundation of our success.
If you’re ready to reduce stress, improve relationships, and create sustainable change in your life, contact me today. (416) 546-5511 or email@example.com
- Master of Social Work, Wurzweiler School of Social Work. New York City.
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy mentoring group with Zindel Segal and Dr. Pat Rockman – Ontario College of Family Physicians.
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction in Mind Body Medicine – John Kabat Zinn and Saki Santorelli.
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy Externship Training Certificate – Sue Johnson, PhD.
- Advanced Core Skills in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy – Gail Palmer
- Advanced Certificate Course Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – Level 2. University of Toronto & the Hincks/Dellcrest Institute.
- Uncovering Strengths & Building Resilience with CBT, Christine Padesky, PhD – Cognitive Workshops.
- Brief and Narrative Therapy Year-Long Extern Training Program. UofT and The Hincks/Dellcrest Institute.
- Extending Narrative Therapy with Maggie Carey – Narrative Therapy Centre of Toronto.
- Narrative Therapy Training – Michael White.
- Collaborative Strengths-Based Therapy with Challenging Children and Adolescents with Matthew D. Selekman.
- Family Mediation Certificate, University of Toronto
- Communication Training, Gestalt Institute of Toronto.
- Time Perspective Therapy – Level 1. Time Therapy Institute, Maui, Hawaii
- Multisystemic Therapy (MST) Certificate, Youthdale Treatment Centres.
- Curriculum For Living – Landmark Education.
- Founder and managing partner of Mind Health Toronto
- Hosted Paramount Pictures Canada Pre-Screening of the film Men, Women and Children and moderated Q + A
- Led Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy, Mindfulness North York
- Co-lead Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction for Caregivers, Toronto Memory Program.
- Co-lead Parenting Groups for Oppositional Youth, Parents For Youth.
- Led Parenting Groups for Internet and Gaming Addiction, Yonge Lawrence Centre For Counselling and Consulting.
Delivered workshop to:
- Autism Ontario
- Hemophilia Ontario
- Tobique First Nations Reserve in New Brunswick, Canada
- Rosedale Heights Public School, Parent Counsel – York Region School Board.
- Toronto Prep School – Stress Busting Seminar for Final Exams.
- Wellness For Women Conference – Hemophilia Ontario.
- Jewish Family Child Services, Toronto – Lunch and Learn.
- Toronto District School Board.
- Kinark Family Services – MST Booster Training.
- Youthdale Treatment Centres, Toronto – Grand Rounds.
- Tape Educational Services – Evidence Based Treatment for Youth.
- TAPE Summer Institute, Toronto – MBCT for Youth
- TAPE Educational Services – Youth and Concurrent Disorders.
- Blue Water Family Support Services, Parkhill Ontario.
- JIAS Toronto
- Gateway Residential and Community Support Services, Welland Ontario.
- St. Leonards Community Services, Brantford, Ontario.
- Kaplan Test Prep, Toronto, Ontario.
- University of Guelph – Humber, Toronto Ontario
- Adler International Learning Inc.
- Yonge Lawrence Centre for Counselling and Consulting.
- Child and Adolescent Outpatient Mental Health Services at North York General Hospital
- Paediatric Journal Club
- Beth Tikvah Synagogue
- SickKids, Annual Paediatric Update Conference, Toronto
- Anger Management Centre of Toronto
- Mind Body Fertility Conference – Centre for Fertility and Reproductive Health, Mount Sinai Hospital
- Paramount Pictures Canada
- Orange Dot Inc.
- Robins Hebrew Academy